Tuesday, February 18, 2014

More Comfortable

The tides of grief rise and fall. Some days it stays away, and for a moment I feel normal. Other days, it comes like a tidal wave, completely engulfing.
Sometimes its triggered by questions or comments made by others. But for some reason, recently this has gotten somewhat easier.

This week I was asked by the lady who rang up my lunch, "Whens the big day?" I was pleased to answer "June 11th", even while anticipating her response. "Is this your first child? or second, or third?" I told her quite comfortably, "This is not my first child but I have no living children, so this one is very special." The words came with ease, love and assurance.
Typically I have found myself hiding my belly so as to avoid the inevitable conversation. I had not been eager to share because I had not been ready to answer the questions.

Today a friend asked me about my tattoo. This has actually been something that has helped in conditioning me to tell my story. I am so happy to share about Avery. In some ways I wish I had the tattoo on my forehead so that people would ask me about him all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment