Monday, February 4, 2013

Feeling Prickly

Photo taken by me in Tucson, AZ

Dont Ask

Today I'm a snarl, a growl,
a tight-lipped frown. I'm
an ice-floe forcing new curves

in cold, winter ground.
I am sulk and pout and grr. Rrr.
I am small and I want to stay here.

To heck with vastness. To heck
with content. I am too clenched 
to vent. Rather to stew, to swim

in my bile. Rather to walk
ten thousand miles in my bare feet
in deep snow and on shoes of sharp tacks.

There's a sick and sweet martyred
ring to that. There may be some
whisper inside somewhere

that says, "Open up, look around,"
but I slam the door on that voice
and turn up the sound of the static

and fuss. I feel like wallowing
in the muck. Deeper. And darker.
More dank. More foul. I may soon

laugh at this fetid mood,
but not now.

Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer
shared from wordwoman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment